Shiloh Baptist Church was rebuilt in 1950 following a devastating 1948 tornado. The building is comprised of three wings. The original structure includes the sanctuary, baptismal and a few classrooms. An addition in the 1960s added a basement fellowship hall and additional classrooms. In 1982, an office and classrooms were added, and other areas were remodeled. Finally, a Family Life Center was added in 2007. This 8,000 square foot facility provided a large fellowship hall, new kitchen, restrooms and a chapel.
The sanctuary, offices, restrooms, nursery, toddler room and most classrooms are located on the main level and are accessible via several entrances as indicated on the building map. The sanctuary includes beautiful stained glass windows, a baptistery and an audio/video loft. The basement level features additional classrooms, a media library and a fellowship hall. Collocated with the fellowship hall is a kitchen and food pantry for serving the church and community. To access the basement level, pass under the brick archway to the right of the main entrance and enter the side door to the right. Another access point is a stairwell near the choir practice room (205).
We take accessibility seriously. In addition to abundant handicapped and visitor parking, you'll find ramped entrances and a powered chair lift allowing everyone to join in activities in the basement level. Those in need of hearing assistance can obtain headphones from any usher.
The church's property spans both sides of Kings Highway (Route 3) and includes the building grounds, cemetery, storage building, softball field and surrounding acreage. Much of the surrounding property was logged in early 2004 to raise money (and clear land) for the Family Life Center.
Family Life Center
Our church recently completed an extensive new building project: the addition of a Family Life Center. The new single-story building contains 7,934 square feet and features a ground level kitchen plus a fellowship hall that provides facilities for church dramas and musicals. A two-lane covered portico at the entrance will accommodate inclement weather passenger drop-off and pick-up for both the fellowship hall and the sanctuary. The building was designed by De Stefano Design Group of Midlothian, Virginia, and was built by J. H. Batten, Inc. of Walkertown, North Carolina. An artist's rendering is shown on the right. A groundbreaking ceremony was held on November 15, 2005, and the actual construction took place between January 2006 and August 2007.You can follow the construction process by reading our Buildings & Grounds Team Blog where members of the Building and Publicity Committees posted photos and updates on a regular basis.
Shiloh Media Library
Located upstairs in room 209, Shiloh's Media Library offers nearly 1,800 books, videos and tapes. The library is open on Sunday mornings from 9:30 to 10:45 a.m. and on Wednesday evenings from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Stop by to browse the aisles and check out materials. Don't forget to check the books on display in the hallway near the choir room.
New additions to the Media Library include:
- Jan Karon's latest in the Mitford Series
- Night by Elie Wiesel
- The Attention Deficit Child
- Bible Brainstorm and Outburst (Bible edition) games
>> Browse Library Listings (May 2009) [Adobe PDF]
RootsWeb.com, a free genealogy community on the web, includes a map of Shiloh's cemetery plots. Last updated in 2001 by Jeff Clark, Shiloh's records can be found here.